Quinoa Mac 'N Cheese
from Monica Nelson Fitness
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 med. leek white and pale green parts halved and sliced (1 cup)-OR chives are fine too
- 1/2 cup diced tomato, or red/green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of water (or stock)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup soy milk, non-fat milk, or milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, more for sprinkling
- Optional- Crushed Red Pepper, Panko Bread crumbs for topping
- Toppings (optional)- salsa, hot sauce, sour cream, scallions (you get the picture)
Heat oil in med. saucepan over med. heat. Add leek and tomatoes. Cover and cook 5 mins or until tender. Stir in quinoa and garlic, and cook, uncovered, 3-4 mins, or until grains start to turn opaque.
Transfer to prepared baking dish and if using Panko Crumbs or Bread crumbs, add now. Bake 25-35 mins, (or until browned around edges.) Now you can toss with your toppings. Enjoy!