Chicken Santa Fe
from Closet Cooking
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute until tender and a bit caramelized, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute and transfer to the crockpot
- Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan, deglaze it and transfer to the crockpot
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, cayenne, salt and pepper to the crockpot, stir, add the chicken and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken, shred it and return to pot.
- Serve over steamed rice, garnished with green onions and cilantro.